Colony Services (formerly Colony Management) in the Division of Animal Services shares responsibilities with Veterinary Services for animal husbandry, colony records, quality assurance, animal assignments, and procurement and transportation of animals. The unit also shares responsibility for regulatory compliance with respect to animal use and facility operations, AAALAC-I and protocol compliance. The unit employs one colony manager, five supervisors and over 30 animal care staff. Animal care staff perform daily husbandry activities and provide environmental enrichment for three species of monkeys at the WNPRC.
In October 2021, the WNPRC colony consisted of 1,594 animals:
- Macaca mulatta (rhesus macaque): 1071
- Macaca fascicularis (cynomolgus macaque): 207
- Callithrix jacchus (common marmoset): 316
Other species of monkeys, including Macaca arctoides (stumptailed macaque), Saguinus oedipus (cottontop tamarin), and Cholorocebus aethiops (vervet or African green monkey) have been historically studied at the center.
The center maintains a nonhuman primate breeding colony overseen by our veterinary, colony management and genetic services staff and regulated by the United States Department of Agriculture. To meet certain research protocol specifications, the WNPRC may also purchase animals from USDA-approved Class A-licensed breeders. The WNPRC does not import animals from the wild.
- Send email to Bonnie Friscino
- Phone: 608-890-1142
- primate husbandry
- primate environmental enrichment
- basic sample collection such as blood, urine, feces, etc.
- primate restraint for animal and staff safety during procedures
- colony records entries
|BONNIE FRISCINO||Colony Manager||(608) 890-1142||Send email to Bonnie Friscino|
|DANA BONIN||Supervisor||(608) 265-4268||Send email to Dana Bonin|
|MARILINA VAZQUEZ||Supervisor||(608) 890-2425||Send email to Marilina Vasquez|
|AMY LAUFENBERG||Supervisor||(608) 437-2583||Send email to Amy Laufenberg|
|NICOLE TEMPLE||Supervisor||(608) 265-0333||Send email to Nicole Temple|
|MARTA AGUERO KOCH||Supervisor||(608) 977-0577||Send email to Marta Aguero Koch|
|LISA TOMCZAK||Colony Records||(608) 263-3540||Send email to Lisa Tomczak|
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How do I gain information about availability of animal resources at the Primate Center? For questions related to animal resource availability, please contact Bonnie Friscino.
- How do I request animals for use in a research project? For questions related to animal assignments, please contact Bonnie Friscino.
- Who do I contact to request technical research support from Animal Services? Requests for research support can be made through Bonnie Friscino.
- Who do I contact for questions related to occupational, chemical or biological safety in Animal Services? Please direct these questions to Bonnie Friscino.