Veterinary Services activities are primarily divided into two areas of emphasis: Clinical Care and Protocol Implementation. Veterinary Services provides the medical and technical coverage to meet the ever-expanding needs of the animals and researchers at the Primate Center. This service is headed by Saverio (Buddy) Capuano lll, DVM, DACLAM, Associate Director for Animal Services/Attending Veterinarian.
Lab animal care and research is regulated by several University of Wisconsin-Madison committees and national agencies such as the United States Department of Agriculture to ensure compliance with the Animal Welfare Act. Our center is fully accredited by the American Association for the Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care-International (AAALAC-I).
- Phone: 608-263-3571
- Send email to Dr. Capuano
- Clinical Care
- Personnel Training
- Protocol Development
- Radiographic Imaging
- Ultrasonic imaging
- Surgical Support
- Endoscopy and Laparoscopy
- Biannual Colony Physical Exams
- Outreach Technical Training
- Research Support
Attending Veterinarian, Associate
|KEVIN BRUNNER, DVM||Research Animal Veterinarian||(608) 265-9069||Send email to Dr. Brunner|
|SHREYA LARSON, DVM||Assoc. Research Animal Veterinarian,
Veterinary Services Unit Head
|(608) 209-2190||Send email to Dr. Larson|
|MICHELLE HARKE, DVM||Research Animal Veterinarian||(608) 265-3240||Send email to Dr. Harke|
|JENNY COONEN, DVM, DACLAM||Assoc. Research Animal Veterinarian||(608) 890-2992||Send email to Dr. Coonen|
|JESSICA JOHNSTON, DVM, DACLAM||Assoc. Research Animal Veterinarian||(608) 265-3240||Send email to Dr. Johnston|
|CASEY FITZ, DVM||Asst. Research Animal Veterinarian||(608) 209-7590||Send email to Dr. Fitz|
|GREG DAGGETT, DVM, MLAS||Asst. Research Animal Veterinarian||(608) 509-2773||Send email to Dr. Daggett|
|MELISSA BERG, DVM, MLAS||Asst. Research Animal Veterinarian||Send email to Dr. Berg|
VETERINARY SERVICES SPECIALISTS
|STACEY MAVES, CVT, LATG||Veterinary Technician 2||(608) 263-3529||Send email to Stacey Maves|
|DENNY MOHR||Senior Surgical O.R Tech/ Emeritus||(608) 263-3558||Send email to Denny Mohr|
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How does one become a Veterinarian? Please visit the AVMA website below and it will give you all the information that you need.
- How do you become a Veterinary Technician? Go to the website below of NAVTA and it will give you the requirements and schools and locations in the US.
- What is the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science? It is a group that serves as the principal means of communication between the individuals and organizations of laboratory animal science
- Do you have to have special schooling to work with Primates? AALAS, ACLAM and RARC provide training and schooling for research training.
- Has Animal Research been around for very long? It is one of the oldest specialties in Veterinary Medicine.
- Research Animal Resources and Compliance
- American Association for Laboratory Animal Science
- American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America
- Wisconsin Veterinary Technician Association