This page includes COVID-19 news involving WNPRC scientists and their collaborators. See also COVID-19 research news from the National Primate Research Centers, Americans for Medical Progress and Foundation for Biomedical Research.
Resources for researchers:
- Nonhuman Primate Models for SARS-CoV-2 Research
- SARS-CoV-2 Open Research Portal (The CoVen)
- National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS)-hosted COVID-19 animal model summary curated by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Accelerating Therapeutic Interventions and Vaccines (ACTIV) Preclinical Working Group.
WNPRC COVID-19 Research News:
- How COVID shots for kids help prevent dangerous new variants, Nov. 23, 2021 (with David O’Connor, UW–Madison and WNPRC)
- Nature on the US boosting research funding for the NIH-funded National Primate Research Centers, July 15, 2021
- Vaccination, previous infection, protect against COVID-19 gamma/P.1 variant in animal model, June 17, 2021
- UW–Madison joins Rockefeller Foundation’s pandemic prevention institute, June 9, 2021
- Sen. Tammy Baldwin visits UW lab tracking COVID-19 variants, April 8, 2021
- Experts say COVID-19 variant names could cause stigma, March 8, 2021
- Viral sequencing catches mutations, guides effective public health response, Feb. 8, 2021
- NIH funds $6.5m to streamline and harmonize COVID-19 research at the National Primate Research Centers, led by Tulane, Feb. 5, 2021
- Thank you to everyone behind the vaccine, Jan. 21, 2021
- The COVID vaccine is here – and we have monkeys to thank, Dec. 15, 2020
- Tracking virus mutations reveals success of stay at home orders. Nov. 5, 2020
- The FDA has begun a Stanford-led project to research host factors contributing to coronavirus immune responses. The initiative, which includes the WNPRC and CNPRC, aims to help us more rapidly predict patient outcomes and address patient needs. Nov. 2, 2020
- The underdog coronavirus vaccines that the world will need if front runners stumble, Sept. 9
- Interview with HIVRp4 co-chair David O’Connor”, Aug. 20
“If we are lucky enough to get a coronavirus vaccine quickly, that work is a direct descendant of investment in adenoviruses vectors, RNA vaccines and other types of vaccine platforms for preventing HIV.”
- Simpler COVID-19 test could provide results in hours from saliva, Aug. 6
- UW researchers developing faster COVID test that could allow frequent, repeat testing anywhere, July 31
- Galidesivir stops Zika viral replication in primate model, June 10
Research progress on tackling Zika virus, as well as COVID-19 and other coronaviruses, from our WNPRC collaboration with James B. Whitney, Ph.D., assistant professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and lead author of the June 10 paper in Science Translational Medicine.
- Graduate student feature: Coronavirus sequencing leads to insights on transmission, vaccine development, June 9
Featuring Katarina Braun and Gage Moreno
- Two studies suggest COVID-19 antibodies provide immunity, May 20
- Crossroads of Ideas: COVID-19 Edition, Part 3, 5 pm, May 20
With Jo Handelsman, Laura McClure, Yoshihiro Kawaoka and David O’Connor and Maureen Smith. View webinar here.
- Coronavirus vaccine trials have delivered their first results — but their promise is still unclear, May 19
- From Hamsters to Baboons: The Animals Helping Scientists Understand the Coronavirus, May 14
- Respiratory disease in rhesus macaques inoculated with SARS-CoV-2, May 12
NIH validates rhesus monkeys as COVID-19 research models.
- The search for a COVID-19 animal research model, May 11
This in-depth story covers many angles of the COVID-19 animal research puzzle being explored by the collaborating National Primate Research Centers.
- Primatologists work to keep great apes safe from coronavirus, May 1
- The CoVen: Brewing up an “open science” response to COVID-19, April 29
Dr. Thomas Friedrich, UW–Madison and WNRPC, discusses collaborative COVID-19 research.
- Statement in support of the global research community’s efforts to end the COVID-19 crisis, April 22
This post concerns some of the difficult decisions the research community has had to make in the time of COVID-19.
- Chimpanzee studies show that ‘social distancing’ may not be the right term for our coronavirus quarantine measures, April 20
Cites WNPRC research by Dr. Toni Ziegler and colleagues.
- Are face masks the new condoms? April 18
Dr. David O’Connor, UW–Madison and WNPRC, on normalizing face masks.
- UW–Madison, Flu-Gen, Bharat Biotech to develop CoroFlu, April 2
- NPRCs begin COVID-19 research, April 2
- Dr. Anthony Fauci on animal models for COVID-19 vaccine research March 26 (45 sec.)
- UW researchers study COVID-19, March 23, 2020
- US Primate Centers work to protect animals from COVID-19, March 19
- Labs rush to study coronavirus in transgenic animals — some are in short supply, March 9
- From ferrets to mice and marmosets, labs scramble to find right animals for coronavirus studies, March 5
- The Scientific Serendipity of Wisconsin’s First Novel Coronavirus Case, Feb. 25
- UW–Madison researchers lead efforts to understand, thwart new coronavirus, Feb. 11